Monday, May 21, 2007

Funeral Arrangements Set

We've finalized the details for my dad's funeral. It took a while because of we had to consult a fortune teller to see if it was a good day for the family, plus check on availability for the funeral home. Some of the dates were not available.

Here are the details:


Friday, May 25, 2007
11:30 a.m. Service
Huai En Ting (Hall)
Second Taipei City Mortuary
#330 Xing Hai Lu, Section 3
Taipei, Taiwan

Our plan is to have a funeral service in Taipei and have his remains cremated. In June, we plan on bringing my father's ashes to the San Francisco Bay Area where we hope to hold an additional service for him before burial. My dad had wished to be buried near his mother at Skylawn Cemetery.

I had thought about bringing him to Shanghai prior to San Francisco, as it was his new home and he has many friends there. I know he had wanted to return to Shanghai as well. However the logistics of doing this may be difficult. Just preparing the paperwork for bringing him back to the U.S. is an ordeal. I never realized how much distrust the American government has, even for its own citizens - as we have to prove that we are his relatives, prepare documents in English, prepare customs documents, etc.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers and phone calls. Your support has helped the family and my mom, especially, through these difficult times.