Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Leaving for Taipei

My dad is now hospitalized at Tai Da. After a day or so in the emergency room last month, he was admitted into the hospital, where it was more peaceful and he had better care. Our cancer doctor was checking on him now and ran some tests on him.

A few weeks ago, he seemed tired but OK. He told me they drained 1000 cc of fluid from his belly. The fluid was slightly red, indicating the presence of blood. I think the doctors were afraid that once they drained the fluid, that he would start bleeding profusely (the pressure from the fluid was preventing any heavy bleeding).

Well, that didn't happen. He felt much better and immediately wanted to eat, which was good.

Since then, my mom has had to carefully measure his intake and outtake of any fluids in his body. Late last week, my mom hired a nurse to take over some of the care needed for my dad now. He needs assistance to get up out of the bed and to the bathroom, especially in the middle of the night.

These past few weeks have been very difficult for her. Physically, it has been draining. She's been getting up and going to the hospital every day at 8 a.m. and doesn't leave until about 8 p.m. Emotionally, I think she feels isolated.

Yesterday, I spoke with her and my dad. My dad sounded OK, but his lips have been peeling and his mouth had sores, a side-effect of his medication. My mom asked me when I was coming and I told her that I booked my ticket for the 15th of May.

But tonight, my sister called me and said that my mom wanted us to go immediately. It was all very vague, partly because my mom was crying. So I called my mom and this is what she said:

"Jeff you better come right now. The doctor keeps asking when you and Laura are going to come. He says that it's best that you come now, while he's still able to recognize you."

I was shocked. I just spoke to him yesterday and he seemed fine. But my mom said that he's not eating now because of the open sores in his mouth and cracked lips. I spoke to my dad briefly, but I could hardly understand him. His voice was weak and it seemed like his lips were hardly moving.

The doctor took him off the chemotherapy drugs, so they'll see what happens. But I called my boss immediately after to let her know that I'd be leaving for Taiwan, tomorrow night.

No comments: